bad no good

I want to drop out of grad school
I want to just go home and never have to do anything again

I don't want to think about getting married
I don't want to think about picking a lab
I don't want to talk to professors

I can't go home I have so much to do
I can't miss a flight I already checked in for
I can't stay here
I can't function properly
I can't eat or make food
I can't talk to people correctly

I want everything to stop
I want everything to stop
I want everything to stop

...

Normally I do well in grad school. Now is not one of those times.

Grad school is self-directed which means I don't have enough direction. I don't know how to choose and how to convey my interest appropriately in joining a lab. And when I did, there were not-clear-things that resulted from the conversations (and from me crying in the middle of conversations) and it is all a no-good mess, still. And I talked to advisors and people I rotated with and they just kept asking more questions and not answering anything explicitly because it is up to me to decide so I have to make the decisions. And because it took so long for me to talk clearly enough that people understood what I was actually saying (on the order of weeks), now I am leaving for 2 weeks without knowing what I am doing when I come back. And without having joining a lab until who-knows-what or if people want me to join or WHAT because it is all an awful NO GOOD HORRIBLE BAD MESS.

Eventually I calmed down a bit and talked to people and wrote out the steps for the current life-grad school-rotations-communication dilemma. At least I'm not in the meltdown-crying-every-hour-awful-mess-state that I was earlier. I have a plan. Well, sort of a plan. A plan to figure out a plan. To fix all the big horrible mistakes that I have made and have gotten behind on. To make up to all the people I have disappointed. To stop disappointing people and stop making mistakes.

Normally I do well in grad school.

But I am going to go home (which was already planned) and my parents are going to take care of me for two weeks and I can e-mail professors about things and do everything except meet-in-person which is something that I need a lot of preparation for anyway. And I can focus only on the tasks I need to do and break them into steps and hopefully figure out how to do things.

Maybe going somewhere safe will fix it. Seeing if hiding from my problems will fix it. (Or "taking a step back and looking at the bigger picture" if I put it in more friendly terms).

Messy mind, messy writing, sorry about the blurry thoughts.

Labels: , , , , ,