I think I'm still autistic

For background, read this.

I went through the DSM V with my mother last night (because I don't notice things I do that other people do not do, because a lot of the time they are normal to me). (That's the same reason I had my mother come with me to the diagnosis/testing place. And also because then I could avoid talking to people at the front desk.)

And I decided that I am probably most likely still autistic.

They covered the social and sensory issues. That was definitely, 100% agreed. So I guess the only things I'm missing are in Part B (The restricted, repetitive patterns of behavior, etc.)

B. RESTRICTED, REPETITIVE PATTERNS OF BEHAVIOR, INTERESTS, OR ACTIVITIES AS MANIFESTED BY AT LEAST 2 OF 4 SYMPTOMS:

B1. Stereotyped or repetitive speech, motor movements, or use of objects;(such as simple motor stereotypies, echolalia,repetitive use of objects, or idiosyncratic phrases).



Yup. This was how I talked when I was little (once I started talking, which took a while. I used large words frequently (although they were often mispronounced, since the words were usually things I picked up from reading.) My mom didn't mention that I spoke strangely when I was little because she thought I was just smart, and I don't know how specific they were on this question.
Yes! Echolalia! I love that words. It's so wonderful. Again, we didn't mention this because this is what our family does...talks for hours in quotes. So we didn't realize it was unusual. Also, I do the thing Alyssa talks about here, where if I am excited about something, I'll just repeat it over and over again, instead of saying yes. (Do you want ice cream? ICE CREAM! ICE CREAM! ICE CREAM!) I didn't realize that was echolalia, either. Also, echolalia is just such a lovely word and I am so glad I found it.
In kindergarten, I went to speech therapy because only my family could understand me when I talked. I'm not sure if this counts though, or if I was just a really unclear speaker.
Haha. Yes. I do this all the time. My best friend in high school used to complain about how when I was talking to her, I would use "you" to mean "I" all the time.
I used to make strange sounds when I read, apparently. I was trained out of that, though (I imagine it would have been annoying, especially as I read pretty much constantly.) I also hum a lot if I get stressed or nervous. Except this one has been shamed out of me (especially in college. I realized when I got home that I am so much quieter than I was when I went to college...when people could HEAR you everywhere!) /was distracting in school (and I think that was a valid point, since I would find humming distracting)
I do a lot of these. I do a lot of strange things with my hands. I like to count each finger. I like to touch things evenly with each hand. I  play with rings and bracelets a lot. They were generally smallish things. I think these didn't get picked up because when I was younger, I was constantly moving. (My mother's words: "I don't think I ever saw them still unless they were reading"). Also, I think I picked up a lot of things in college that I didn't do before I left because of added stress and more demands on me, and different coping mechanisms (here from me or here from Zoe). I also bounce on my toes. I swing my legs when I sit, if I'm not sitting cross legged. I rock sideways on my feet. I pace. I do a lot of stuff.
I just want to say here, WHO DOESN'T WAVE STICKS? Isn't that what they are for? For being swords and stuff? We also built a lot of general stuff.
I don't think this is the intended meaning at all, but around Christmas when I was little, I would line up stuffed animals to spell out the number of days left until Christmas. I started sometime in November.




B2. Excessive adherence to routines,ritualized patterns of verbal or nonverbal behavior, or excessive resistance to change;(such as motoric rituals, insistence on same route or food,repetitive questioning or extreme distress at small changes).

I am a fan of routines. I like when things are the same. I like when I know what is going to happen next. I don't know if it is unusual, though. (It probably is. I do get upset when they are disrupted.)
Oh my goodness. Yes. I wrote a whole post about this. (HERE!)
My parents got a new dining room table when I was gone. I have not forgiven them yet. It makes our house look different. I do not like it. (And things like this).
My mom says this. I just think there's just a lot of things that people mistakenly think are funny. Because when you ask them why it is funny, a lot of the time they don't have a good answer.
One of my nicknames growing up was "Literal Girl". I have trouble finding the second meanings of words all the time. I think this applies.
Well, excessively is a bit harsh, but I do love rules. I'm sure I will talk about them later.


B3.Highly restricted,fixated interests that are abnormal in intensity or focus;(such as strong attachment to or preoccupation with unusual objects, excessively circumscribed or perseverative interests).
Preoccupations; obsessions

Probably. I was VERY into horses and reading. We didn't realize this earlier because my intensity was just encouraged by my parents. (What parent doesn't want their child to read?) Also, my family tends towards this anyway.
Apparently, if I have no interest in what other people are doing, I will just ignore it. I thought I was better at hiding this, since that's polite (although my mother may have been talking about when I was younger.)
Yes. These all really seem to be the same, though. I was very very focused on horses (and to a lesser extent, dogs). I spent large portions of second grade pretending I was a dog. I would bark at people. My second grade teacher told me I wasn't allowed to wear a collar I made out of paper at school. I had a horse encyclopaedia I read cover to cover. I was also very, very, very into reading. We had to have rules set on reading. No books before breakfast. No books when guests are over. And so forth. And now it is biology! (And still reading.)
I'm not sure what preoccupation is, but I sure did love numbers and letters. We were told stories about them.
I've tried to work on this. I think I've gotten better. My parents have been working on me with this since I was little, I believe.
What is the difference between this and the first one?
Well, I really like to look at gears and stuff and watch them move. But gears are very functional.
I liked rocks.
See above. I liked to carry around rocks. I like the way they feel in my hands. I like to play with them. I carried rocks in my pockets in high school.


B4.Hyper‐or hypo‐reactivity to sensory input or unusual interest in sensory aspects of environment;(such as apparent indifference to pain/heat/cold, adverse response to specific sounds or textures, excessive smelling or touching of objects,fascination with lights or spinning objects).

Yup I've got this part, so problem! (No need to do the subcategories for sensory, since it was "officially confirmed" already).

So basically, I think from all of this, I think I'm still pretty autistic. And that makes me happy. Because that is what I want to be. I want to be autistic, and I think I am. All is well.

Labels: , , , , , ,